Year-in-Review Highlights... but first and foremost we wish you more than ever good health. Secondly, prosperity. And thirdly, a NEW YEAR of hope and NEW possibilities.
As we bid farewell to 2021, we wish all Western Section members success in every avenue of life filled with good cheer in 2022. We are very humbled by and grateful for the creativity, passion, and energy of our Western Section Members and Leaders whose support and dedication make our Section so incredibly vibrant and strong.
What follows is a quick re-cap of the year 2021 highlights, member's in the news, plus some important announcements.
The 2021 Annual Meeting was AWESOME!
The 97th Annual Meeting concluded on November 4, 2021. Total attendance included 335 urologists, 62 APP/allied health pros, and over 145 exhibitors. Local Arrangements Chair, Dr. Michael Sanford and Lori Sanford, (and their lovely kids) are to be commended on their hospitality and for making everyone feel welcome and appreciated during the entire meeting.
The full agenda and program book as well as other details can be viewed on the meeting website at: https://surgewest.org/
The feedback indicated strong satisfaction with the event. Many comments received about the quality of the sessions and delivery of the content as well as the high level of engagement. Dr. Sia Daneshmand (USC)., WS Secretary and Program Director, is to be congratulated on an excellent scientific program along with the entire Program Committee. Most of the sessions are now available for viewing via direct video link. See below the list of sessions.
For those who participated, we thank you for being with us at this meeting! The Whova meeting app and all videos are still available for viewing.
- Click here to see Dr. John Barry's 2021 meeting take away points
- Click here to view the Program Book
- Click here to search and view the abstracts
- Click here to view the live steaming videos that were recorded for the sessions - please use invite code: wsaua2021pd - if asked
- Click here for a list of Speakers
- Click for list of Exhibitors
SESSIONS AVAILABLE TO VIEW VIA VIDEO DIRECT LINK
- Click here to view the video HEALTH POLICY FORUM
- Public Policy / Data Quality - Poster Session Top 10
- Public Policy / Data Quality - Moderated Posters
- First Place Essay Winners: Resident, Physician
- PROSTATE CANCER SESSION 1
- PROSTATE CANCER SESSION 2
- Postgraduate Review & Preparation Course #1 - Male/Female Sexual Medicine
- Postgraduate Review & Preparation Course #2 - Prostate Cancer (WILLIAM J. CATALONA, MD)
- Incontinence / Pelvic Floor / Neurourology /BPH
- Sexual Medicine Session
- Pediatrics Session
- Urothelial Cancers Session
- Video Surgi-Session
- Calculi / Kidney Session
- GU Tumor Board Session
- CUA Annual Meeting
- Practice Management Course #1 - Art Lurvey, MD
- Practice Management Course #2 - Mark Painter
- EMIL TANAGHO LECTURESHIP: Asking a Simple Question: How It Changed My Practice in FPRMS and Functional Urology?
- Sadoughi Award Lecture: What is the Current Role of Surgery for Advanced RCC with Increasingly Effective Systemic Therapy Options?
Obtaining your CME records for WsAUA or AUA meetings
To access your meeting CME records/certificates you will need to log into the AUA website – Click here
- Keep checking if data is not there yet – the AUA must upload and process the data.
- Certificates for specific activities may be printed from the AUA University transcript page by clicking on the activity title and following the on-screen instructions.
- If you are unable to login, need a password reset, or are unsure of your AUA ID number contact AUA Customer Service at firstname.lastname@example.org or via 800-908-9414.
2021 Annual Meeting Awardees (partial list - more coming)
Congratulations Session Winners
Health Policy Essay Winners
1st Place - Jerad Harris, MD
"Do Home-Grown Residents and Fellows Make Better Attendings?"
Jerad Harris, Stephen Wertheimer, Craig Collins, Nancy Spiegel, Gary Chien: Los Angeles, CA
Miley B. Wesson Resident Essay Contest Winners
1st Place - Gregory W. Hosier MD, MSc
"Ambulatory Tubeless Percutaneous Nephrolithotomy is Safe and Effective in Patients with Extended Selection Criteria."
Gregory Hosier, Kashif Visram, Thomas McGregor, Stephen Steele, Naji Touma, Thomas Chi, Marshall Stoller, David Bayne, Fadl Hamouche, Heiko Yang, Darren Beiko: San Francisco, CA
2nd Place - Kassem S. Faraj, MD
"Same Day Discharge Protocol For Robotic Prostatectomy Using Eras
Principles During The COVID-19 Era."
Kassem Faraj, Samantha Wilder, David Mauler, Adri Durant, Elisabeth Lim, Lanyu Mi, Mitchell Humphreys, Scott Cheney: Phoenix, AZ
3rd Place - Fernandino L. Vilson, MD
"Prostate Specific Antigen Volatility and the Diagnosis of Clinically
Significant Prostate Cancer."
Fernandino Vilson, Boya Zhang, Olubusola Onsunsany, James Brooks, Thomas Osborne, Priyadip Ray, John Leppert: Stanford, CA
Joseph F. McCarthy Physician Essay Contest Winners
1st Place - Christopher Elliott, MD, PhD
"Adoption of Single-Use Clean Intermittent Catheterization Policies Do Not Appear to Effect Genitourinary Outcomes in a Large Spinal Cord Injury Cohort."
Christopher Elliott, Kai Dallas, Kazuko Shem, James Crew: San Jose, CA
2nd Place - Jonathan Moore, MD
"The Changing Landscape of salvage HoLEP post MIST."
Jonathan Moore, Gopal Narang, Scott Cheney, Mitchell Humphreys: Scottsdale, AZ
3rd Place - Una Lee, MD
"Creating an Extraordinary Experience for Women Undergoing Cystoscopy."
Eileen MacDonald, Justina Tam, Karshena McNair, Deborah Sparks, Jen Zimmerman, Teresa Fox, Neha Patel, Amy London, Una Lee: Seattle, WA
WSAUA Election Results, 2021-2022 Leadership
|President||Christopher Porter, M.D.||Seattle, WA|
|President-Elect||Harcharan Gill, M.D.||Stanford, CA|
|Past President||Kathleen Kobashi, M.D.||Seattle, WA|
|Secretary||Sia Daneshmand, M.D.||Los Angeles, CA|
|Treasurer||Christopher Kane, M.D.||San Diego, CA|
|Historian||John Prince, M.D.||Orange, CA|
Congratulations 2021 AUA Awardees from Western Section
Victor A. Politano Award:
Craig V. Comiter, MD
For a defining career centered on investigation, innovation and education in treating incontinence
The Victor A. Politano Award is presented annually to an individual for outstanding research and work in the field of incontinence and for enhancing the treatment of incontinent patients, thereby helping to improve their quality of life.
Inderbir S. Gill, MD
For scientific innovations in robotic and laparoscopic oncologic surgery
Victor W. Nitti, MD
For outstanding contributions as the AUA Education Chair advancing the Urology Core Curriculum and AUA University
Other big news this year...
- Young Urologist of the Year Winner – 2021, Lindsay Hampson, MD, MAS
- Dr. Catherine R. deVries receives Urology Care Foundation’s inaugural 2021 Humanitarian Recognition Award
- Western Section AUA’s Distinguished Member 2021: Frank J. DeSantis, CAE – Posthumously Awarded Distinguished Member for 2021
- Didusch Museum adopting WSAUA collection of medical instruments
2020 Virtual Meeting Recap - in case you missed it.
Check out the WsAUA Mainstream Newsletter – lots of great stuff about the meeting are included!
And last but not least...mark your calendars for the 2022 meeting in Kauai at the Grand Hyatt in Poipu. Rooms and registration do not open up until March or April. Members will receive first notice.
98th Annual Meeting
Grand Hyatt Kauai, Hawaii
Oct 30 to Nov 4, 2022
Abstract Deadline: June 11, 2022
...Thanks and have a Happy New Year!