2014 Essay Competition Award Winners
History Essay Contest Winners:
- First Place Winner: Alan L. Kaplan, MD, UCLA – Joseph J Kaufman: Renaissance Man.
- Second Place Winner: Eric S. Wisenbaugh, MD, Mayo Clinic Arizona – The History of Urethral Stricture Disease Management.
- Third Place Winner: Matthew Mossanen, MD, Univ. of WA – Foley’s Failures: Learning Life Lessons from a Legend.
- Honorable Mention: Elliott B. Lander, MD, Rancho Mirage, CA – The Role of the Surgeon in Regenerative Urology-the History of the Future.
Miley B. Wesson Resident Essay Contest Winners:
- First Place Winner: J. Joy Lee, MD, Stanford Univ. – Biologic Differences between Peripheral and Transition Zone Prostate Cancer.
- Second Place Winner: Ryan Flannigan MD, Univ. of British Columbia – A Single Dose of Intraoperative Antibiotics is Sufficient to Prevent Urinary Tract Infection During Ureteroscopy.
- Third Place Winner: Mark D. Tyson MD, Mayo Clinic Arizona – Radical Prostatectomy Trends In The United States: 1998-2011.
Joseph F. McCarthy Physician Essay Contest Winners:
- First Place Winner: Anirban P. Mitra, MD, PhD, USC – A Novel Validated Genomic Signature Provides Superior Prognostic Performance in High-Risk Bladder Cancer Following Cystectomy.
- Second Place Winner: Marc A. Dall’Era, MD, UC Davis – Prostate Cancer Deaths: Trends in Baseline Demographic and Clinical Characteristics over a 25-Year Period.
- Third Place Winner: Jim C. Hu, MD, MPH, UCLA – Comparative Effectiveness of Robotic-Assisted versus Open Radical Prostatectomy Cancer Control.
Health Policy Essay Contest Winners:
- Resident Winner: Jamal A Nabhani, M.D., USC – The Marriage of Translational and Health Services Research: A Policy Imperative.
- Resident Winner: Matthew Mossanen, M.D. University of Washington Medical Center – Overuse of Antimicrobial Prophylaxis in Community Practice Urology.