The Western Section is deeply saddened to report the loss of one its members: Dr. Charles Garo Gholdoian.
According to news reports, the shooting occurred in Reno on Tuesday, Dec. 17.
At a news conference Thursday afternoon, Reno police confirmed the name of the shooting suspect is Alan Frazier, age 51, from Lake Almanor. They say they have found evidence indicating the shooting was planned as Frazier’s final act, and that each shot was deliberately fired at somebody. They say they may never know the exact motive, but they have evidence that he was upset with the results of a 2010 operation. His truck was found outside the shooting site and towed to an evidence yard. His last known employment was with Mt. Lassen Power Company, with family in California and Arizona. Also, accounts have been set up at Wells Fargo bank branches for anyone whp wants to donate to help the victims and their families.
Based on witness statements and evidence, here is what police believe is the timeline of the shooting:
• The suspect entered through the main office doors and encountered office staff at the front desk and patients in the lobby.
• The suspect made statements that he was looking for physicians and not patrons of the office.
• The suspect walked into the interior of the office, toward the examination rooms, where he encountered our first victim, Dr. Christine Lajeunesse. He then shot her point blank in the arm and torso, where she immediately fell to the floor.
• As he continued down the hallway, he encountered Dr. Gholdoian. He shot at the doctor, missing him, but striking our second victim, Shantae Spears, in the torso.
• The suspect’s third shot was at Dr. Gholdoian in the hallway, striking him in the torso.
• The suspect then walked into the office area where he attempted to break into a locked room. There is indication that his fourth shot was through a smoked glass door, possibly in an attempt to gain access.
• He then returned to the main lobby area where the fifth and final shot was the self-inflicted gunshot wound to his head.
• Located with the suspect was the primary firearm, which was a pistol grip 12-gauge shotgun, a 2-shot derringer pistol, and a fully loaded 40-caliber handgun. There is no indication that either handgun was fired.
The victim in a Tuesday shooting at a Reno medical office has been identified as Dr. Charles Garo Gholdoian of Urology of Nevada. Reno Police declined to name the shooter pending notification of his next of kin. At a televised press conference this morning, a spokesman for the Reno Police Department said the shooter entered a medical building that’s part of the Renown Regional Medical Center Campus and made his way to the third floor offices of the Urology of Nevada.